Skip to main content

Is Eating Dessert for Breakfast a Key to Staying Slim?

"Could yogurt be a key to staying slim?" asks the Washington Post. They look to Harvard for answers. But instead of looking to the priests of nutrition, let's see if we can answer this for ourselves.

What is yogurt? According to this fact sheet from Dannon,

The basic yogurt recipe is simply fresh milk, sweeteners, cultures and flavors or fruit.

Plus acesulfame K , Aspartame, cornstarch, fructose, gelatin, malic acid, pectin and/or phosphates.

According to this site, 4 oz (half of cup) of Dannon Activia yogurt contains 110 calories and 19 grams of carbohydrate, 17 of which are sugar, none of which are fiber.

Compare the yogurt to 4 oz of ready-to-eat chocolate pudding: 153 calories and 25 grams of carb, 19 of which are sugar. Except for a few extra calories (think two bites), these products are comparable.

While I'm loathe to quote doctors, one of them told me that I should take lactinex (a probiotic) while on antibiotics, and that the quantity in yogurt wasn't enough to do any good. I doubt that food that's basically pudding plus cultures makes a health food. It's more like chocolate cake for breakfast.



Want a healthier dessert for breakfast? Try making custard or flan (the night before) with a sweetener like Splenda. Custard made this way has eggs(!) and cream(!) and a fraction of the sugars, without the cornstarch, Aspartame or fructose.

Comments

Judith said…
Or, if you want to take it one step further and go dairy-free, you could try these delicious little breakfast custards: http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=212:coconut-custard-pots-a-coconut-chocolate-custard-pots&catid=66:breakfast&Itemid=67
Lori Miller said…
That looks tasty.

I should have made it clear that traditional, full-fat, unsweetened yogurt is different from the defatted sugar bombs at the grocery store. Personally, though, I prefer cultured sour cream to soured milk (yogurt). It's heaven in a carton.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...