Skip to main content

30-minute low-carb gumbo

Cajun flavor at northern speed 

Here's the full recipe, which is too long for a youtube comment. See the video here. 



Ingredients

1 bag frozen riced cauliflower (12 oz)
1 bag frozen Cajun mirepoix (12 oz)
1/2 bag frozen okra (thawed) (use 6 oz)
about 2.5 cups broth 
12 oz Andouille sausage (cooked) 
1/2 t onion powder 
1/2 t minced dried garlic 
1 can stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz)
2 teaspoons Cajun spice 
3 tablespoons butter (divided)

Directions

  1. Put the cauliflower in a bowl, add a little water, cover it with a plate, and put it in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.
  2. Melt 2T butter in a big skillet at medium-high heat. 
  3. Slice the sausage into thin slices. 
  4. When the butter is melted, put the mirepoix in the skillet and stir it in.
  5. Slice the thawed okra. 
  6. Carefully take the caulirice out of the microwave, give it a stir, and put it back in for 3.5 minutes.
  7. In another skillet, melt 1T of butter on medium high heat. 
  8. When the microwave beeps again, drain the caulirice, put it in the pan and stir it. Add the garlic and onion powder. 
  9. Meantime, keep stirring the mirepoix, and stir the caulirice occasionally too. 
  10. When the caulirice looks done, cover it and turn off the heat.
  11. When the onions in the mirepoix are translucent, add a little stock and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the bits. 
  12. Then add the stock, the sausage, okra, tomatoes with juice, and Cajun spice and stir everything in.
  13. Cover the gumbo, bring to a boil, then simmer for ten minutes, stirring it occasionally.
  14. When the gumbo looks done, spoon some caulirice in a bowl and add the gumbo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...