Skip to main content

I lived under a boil water order--here's what happened

Last Thursday, the sidewalk by a step-cracked building lifted up off the ground when the water main under it broke.

 I turned on my faucet and got nothing. All the water was running down the streets a few miles away, waist deep in some places. 


Water main break, March 27, 2025. Source: Indianapolis Fire Department. 

Later that day, after fixing the main, the water company issued a boil-water advisory for the next two days. If you wanted to drink it, cook with it, or wash your dishes in it, it had to be boiled. 

As usual, I had a sink full of dirty dishes. No problem, I thought--I'll boil water in my canner. But it takes a long time to bring so much water to boil, then it has to cool down enough to put your hands in it. Finally, around 10 PM, I was ready to wash the dishes. I soaped up the first dish...then realized I had nothing to rinse it with. I put some water I'd bought at the store in the canner. It had to do for the whole batch. 

I also got some dry shampoo. I'd never used it before and didn't realize it was mostly butane. Butane? Are you supposed to put butane in your hair? I always get water in my eyes when I wash my hair, and, not wanting to risk another eye infection, cleaned my hair with butane. Twice. 

When it was time to brush my teeth and wash my face, I took a bowl of bottled water to the bathroom. I thought I'd wash my face first. I lathered up my face, then realized that once I rinsed it, I'd have soapy water to brush my teeth with. So I brushed my teeth, rinsed the toothbrush, then rinsed the soap off my face. Who'd have thought that using a wash basin with limited water was like 4D chess?

I thought about washing my hands. I don't trust hand sanitizer to get all the crud off my hands, and I don't trust soap to sanitize my hands. But since the water was clean enough to bathe and wash your clothes in (as the water company said), the tap water couldn't be that bad. I washed my hands as usual, then used hand sanitizer.

Not wanting to wash any more dishes, I went out for lunch the next day and fed my dog some canned fish.

Just as I got everything figured out, the water company ended the boil water advisory. 

I never realized what a convenience it is to have sanitary tap water.

Comments

We take so much for granted until it is taken away from us ...

All the best Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...