Skip to main content

The Right to be Left Alone

Someone asked on a message board the other day of a person who wasn't vaccinated, "What makes you think you can do anything you want?" It's a philosophical question worth answering. 

The Founding Fathers believed the people had rights, through God or Nature. They described them in the Constitution and later the Bill of Rights--and they are basically rights to be left alone. I don't have the right to go cough on the person who asked this question, but she doesn't have the legal or moral right to insist that healthy people stay home or take an experimental medicine, nor is she entitled to a risk-free life. 

This question made me start imagining what it might be like if the shoe was on the other foot.

* * * * *

Photo from Pixabay.

Imagine it's April 2022. Another new variant is going around, but the vaccines aren't stopping it. In fact, everyone getting sick has had a vaccine and rumors start flying that the illness is, in fact, a long-term side effect. But clinical studies show that the vaccines aren't causing the illness, they just aren't preventing it. As it turns out, natural immunity from exposure to the wild virus is highly effective at preventing the new one. 

Leaders know that people won't go through another series of lockdowns, distancing, and so on--nor can most countries afford it. New vaccines are at least a year off. They decide that come June, when it's warm in most of the US, they will start pushing vaccinated people to get exposed to the virus at a time of year when they're the least likely to end up in the hospital. This time, the old and frail will be protected.

But after two years of quarantines, masks, Zoom meetings and social distancing, decorum has gone out the window. "Hey, Miss Prissy!" kids yell at anyone, man or woman, wearing a mask. At the theater, where several employees have been voluntold to go get exposed, unaccompanied women get groped. Bars and clubs are rowdy and police are too busy to show up. Dogs are able to pass on the virus, and getting a few licks from one doesn't sound that bad, until you read that people have had their faces bitten. A few people even had to have surgery. "Those are rare cases!" people comment, before FaceBook takes down the story and fact checkers say there's no evidence the dogs weren't provoked. 

That's not all you read about: while the new virus is usually no more than a mild cold, some people are getting very ill from it, and it's not clear why. You don't want to get this virus and you're tired of being called a Nervous Nellie, you're tired of being nudged, you're tired of hearing, "Wait six months! You'll be in the hospital!" The people with natural antibodies are immune--why is it any of their business whether vaxxers infect each other or not? 

Meanwhile, Cuba isn't letting anyone stay home--they've ordered everyone to stay outside for two weeks to kill the virus. All manner of mayhem ensues.

* * * * *

There used to be an expression: I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it. The spirit of that saying is that it's rights, not agreement, that's important. It also implies that it's good to stick up for each other: you help me when it's my ox being gored, and I'll help you when it's yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...