Skip to main content

Scott Adams is NOT on Team Reality

Cartoonist Scott Adams admitted the other day that the "anti-vaxxers"--meaning people who didn't want an experimental COVID shot--had "won." Like Emily "we were all in the dark" Oster, he chalked up his loss to bad luck instead of his own bad judgment. 


 


Sorry, Scott, but there's no substitute for doing your own research using primary sources and learning how to read those sources. It's like the first three rules from Joel Greenblatt's book You can be a Stock Market Genius:

  1. Do your own work.
  2. Don't trust anyone over 30.
  3. Don't trust anyone 30 or under. 

Get it? Sinking your fortune or your health into something you haven't carefully researched is risky. As for following the experts (under 30, over 30 or otherwise), these experts don't work for you, they don't suffer any consequences for being wrong, and renegades who pan a stock or pharmaceutical get excommunicated. 

Even though COVID dissidents were censored, information and lessons on interpretation were out there. Dr. Sebastian Rushworth's book COVID: Why Most of What you Know is Wrong explained, succinctly and in laymen's terms, scientific studies and statistics. Looking at Pfizer's own study, he called the number of severe adverse events "concerning" and observed that Pfizer didn't say what those events were. And--the book is from 2021--he noted, "none of these studies has looked into whether these vaccines prevent those who have been vaccinated from spreading the infection to others, so there is at present no data to support that claim." Dr. Rushworth was less concerned about the Moderna shot, but he was right about the rest simply by reading and interpreting the drug companies' own studies. All of this was presented in a way where you could check his work instead of taking him on faith.

Maybe not many people saw that book. Fair enough--but every state had COVID dashboards where you could see the overwhelming majority of deaths were among the old and the metabolically unhealthy. Independent journalist Alex Berenson was on Twitter and then Substack reporting on the shots; nurse John Campbell, Dr. Suneel Dhand, Dr. Vinay Prasad, biologists Brett Weinstein and Heather Heying and others were on YouTube interpreting COVID studies and news. For a while, YouTube had local TV news videos every day of people who'd suffered severe adverse reactions to the COVID shot. Plenty of information was out there for people willing to do their own work--or at least listen to others who had.

But there was something even more basic: the "vaccines" were novel, experimental-stage medical products created, tested and marketed by an industry with a spotty safety record. The people least insulated from disaster--the poor and least educated--were the most wary even if they couldn't explain why. 

To be fair to Scott Adams, there were people who more lucky than right. Some of them will take a loss when their child suffers or dies from an entirely preventable disease. But putting all of us in that category by calling us "anti-vaxxers" is intellectually dishonest and a disqualification for Team Reality.


UPDATE: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...