Skip to main content

My New Favorite Cold Medicine

Regular readers might remember my bouts with respiratory illnesses: bronchitis that hung on for months, colds that wouldn't go away, sinus infections so frequent that I had sinoplasty many years ago (it didn't stop my sinus infections), and even a week in the hospital with a sinus infection when I was a kid. The sickest I ever felt was when I had the flu at age 17. As someone (maybe Dr. Eades) recently described, I remember where I was and what I was doing when it came on. 

Last week when I felt a cold coming on, I figured I'd be sick for several days. I was tired and starting to get congestion and a sore throat. But it went away 12 hours later and didn't come back. 

Photo from Unsplash.


Maybe it was short COVID.

Kidding aside, the only difference is that I've been taking Ideal Immunity, a probiotic made by Biotiquest. (I'm not an affiliate.) Some of the members at Dr. Davis's Inner Circle have been getting incredible results with Sugar Shift lowering their blood sugar; another member has greatly improved her atrial fibrillation with Simple Slumber. 

Ideal Immunity was the only thing I took (besides a cough drop). I didn't make a yogurt out of it--I normally take one pill, but took two the night I felt sick. 

* * * * *

My old favorite cold medicine was ivermectin. Ivermectin is antibacterial, and since I go to great lengths to avoid killing my gut bacteria, I'm not going to take it for cold symptoms anymore. First of all, the probiotics worked a lot better. Second, the omicron variant of COVID is, so I have heard, no worse than a cold, and so it doesn't justify taking something that might kill gut bacteria. 

I'm going to continue taking the probiotics through the winter. Based on one of the ways they work (strengthening your gut lining), I don't think you'd get such fast results by taking them after you get sick. They're kind of pricey, but if you want to stretch them out, the vendor has a recipe to make yogurt. The recipe calls for Sugar Shift, but it has most of the same bacteria as Ideal Immunity. 

Here's a link to my video on making perfect yogurt. 

Stay well!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Lori! I know you from Dr. Davis' Inner Circle. I'm happy to see your response to Ideal Immunity. I began (maybe a couple of weeks ago) taking Sugar Shift and Ideal Immunity, one in the morning and the other in the evening. It's a little early to rave about the benefits, but I'm cautiously optimistic, as they say.

I always enjoy your posts & input on the weekly meetups.

Stay well.
Lori Miller said…
Thanks for the kind words. Hope you have good results with the probiotics, too.
Stay well Lori.

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
You too, Jan!

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...