Skip to main content

Barbarians, Virus Ejected

Looks like the pandemic is over. So it would seem, now that we're no longer being lectured to stay home or "wait two weeks! The protestors will all be in the hospital!"

The "protests" here are astroturf. People in Indianapolis don't protest things that happen in Minnesota. There was a protest here about a local the police shot--a man speeding, running red lights, then allegedly firing on the police. Both the officer and suspect were black. But the protest was weeks ago and mostly peaceful. The people tearing up downtown this weekend were--well, you be the judge. Note the 404 phone number below isn't local.

A bail bond hotline--just what every nice young girl needs.

Caught throwing molotov cocktails? Antifa has your back with bail money.

Today, the police here warned people to stay out of downtown. The mayor set a city-wide 8 PM curfew whose violation carries a $10,000 fine and six months in jail; it showed up as an emergency alert on every cell phone in the county. The governor put the National Guard on standby. They closed inbound traffic into downtown. Protest organizers warned people to go home. Somehow, I got the sense that everyone from the police to the governor was done playing around.

Protestors showed up downtown today anyway. The police told them to go home--again--before breaking out the tear gas and pepper spray, just like yesterday. Then told the diehards still remaining to go home or go to jail. And off to jail some of them went.

Downtown streets are now quiet, according to the Indy Star and Twitter. I don't know where the rioters went, but I don't hear any news of mayhem. Eighty businesses were damaged, monuments were spray painted, three officers were injured and two people died. And any goodwill that Antifa or Black Lives Matter had is now gone. It was a weekend of mayhem and destruction, but the lockdown is over--a lockdown that may not have done any good--so that's something.

In other news: I'm no longer coughing.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2020/05/31/indianapolis-police-protests-live-updates-sunday-george-floyd-dreasjon-reed/5302139002/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...