Skip to main content

Does LCHF Work for 40+ Women?

A commenter on another blog said, "Calories count: ask any woman over 40. Oh wait, you notice LCHF never mentions them or shows their success stories."

I'm not sure where this person got that idea. Maybe he's new to LCHF; it seems to me like there's a lot of us out there who eat this way without counting calories. Three years ago, at age 41, 20 pounds fell off when I whacked back the carbs. I've kept it off and stayed pretty close to what I weighed in high school. Amy Alkon, Mary Dan Eades and Jackie Eberstein come to mind as LC ladies of a certain age; I'm sure I'm forgetting dozens more.

Here's a photo of me taken June 3, 2013, age 44. (I wanted to show my best friend what I wore to see Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson, since she pictured me in a lavender shirt, white linen pants, and starchy bag with a bottle of Perrier.)


Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! Lookin' hot, Lori!
Lori Miller said…
Thanks, Carole. Looks like you've done great on LCHF yourself. :)

It was kind of fun to be one of the few people there wearing white.
Galina L. said…
Well, I tryed both after 45. I got more fat on a minimal animal products/hight wholegrains, veggies,fruits/no sugar diet because I was insanely hangry all the time to keep calories low. I got from size 16 to 12 on LCHF diet, and also stopped having asthma, flues, cat allergy, urinary tract infections, hot flashes and more nasty things. Should I feel sorry that I didn't get skinny?
Lori Miller said…
I'd call those results a success.
Anonymous said…
That's a lot of great health improvements Galina.
Not to be sneezed at!
:)
tess said…
I haven't taken off impressive numbers of pounds, just 20ish with "the last ten" to go, but like Galina my health has improved tremendously. I think we might become more intolerant of the toxic foods younger people may be able to use with impunity, but GOK we're used to controlling what we choose to consume.... I'll be 58 next month (EEEEEEK!)
Lori Miller said…
Happy early birthday, Tess, and many happy returns!

I know some people (esp. women) call a diet a failure if they don't lose that last ten pounds. But like you and Galina, I've seen so many health improvements on LCHF that even if I were 10 or 20 pounds heavier, I'd call the diet a success.
Galina L. said…
Thank you, Carole and Lory. You both look gorgeous, btw.
Galina L. said…
When I started a LC diet, just avoiding a further weight gain felt like a success. After 45 I realised how low (healthwise) could I go. Many who are 40+ find themselwes in the same health trap, and looking differently than a movie star could be not that high on a priority list.
There's a lot of us girls out there who have discovered LCHF and the improvements it can and does bring to health.I certainly wouldn't go back to any other diet/lifestyle, but I appreciate we all have to make our choices and do what is best for us.The older you get the more you appreciate good health

All the best Jan

(PS Early Happy Birthday to Tess)
Lori Miller said…
Of course, the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight on any diet. But hey, I'm glad someone was out there yesterday to mansplain it to me.
Lori Miller said…
I hear that. I started LC to get rid of the hell in my stomach. The day I started this blog, I was in the worst pain of my life with an abcessed tooth. My left shoulder hurt too much to carry a purse and my teeth hurt. All those problems are gone now; the weight loss was a pleasant side effect. Even if I still needed to lose weight, there's NOTHING that could budge me from LC and send me back to all those health problems.
I am one of those women who isn't losing the "last 10" with LCHF, but on a typical calorie-reduction plan, my metabolism shuts down, and when I add carbs, I gain every time. So it is really a no-brainer for me, too. I am so sick of supposed experts staw-manning their way to popularity on various blogs with this calorie thing. They are getting desperate (not Jimmy, lol!)
Lori Miller said…
He was an empty vessel making a lot of noise.
Lori Miller said…
I see that Sharon Osbourne lost 30 pounds at age 59 on Atkins. (Full disclosure: she's a paid spokesperson for Atkins.) Her blog is here:
http://blogs.atkins.com/Blogs/Sharon%20Osbourne/Default.aspx

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...