Skip to main content

Quarantined Again

 March found me back in quarantine, as it did last year. This time, it wasn't a bad cold, but a three-week case of diarrhea. Pepto Bismol, Candibactin BR, black seeds (nigella), NAC, thyroid medication and probiotics did nothing; a jar of kimchi made it a lot worse. So I went to urgent care, where the doctor prescribed a stool test for C. difficile and other nasties that will make you extremely ill. C. diff is so toxic that my employer advised me to stay home until results were in. Of course, I didn't want to infect others, so I quarantined myself...again. I'm even working on my computer in the sunshine as I did last year. I forgot that it's hard to see the screen.  

Photo from pixabay.com

All the test results were negative, so I'm still trying to figure out why I have diarrhea. Hypotheses include too much B vitamins and too much gut bacteria. It all started shortly after beginning a new probiotic and re-starting thyroid medication (25 mg). As I mentioned, I took a bunch of herbal antibacterials and a biofilm buster (NAC) to see if I could expel whatever bug was making me sick. After a week, and seeing stuff in the toilet I'd never seen before, I gave it up. That was on a Friday. I spent the weekend playing video games (what I do when I'm out of energy) and didn't feel up to working from home Monday or Tuesday. I assume something died off. My sinus passages are clearer, but that's all I have to show for it. 

While I sort it out, I've had to keep my electrolytes up since diarrhea flushes them out. Keto K1000 electrolyte mix has been great, and to make sure I don't overload on potassium, I bought a potassium meter. It's not made to measure potassium in humans, but no meter is. That's been one benefit of this whole thing: I can now tell if palpitations are from low potassium and not thyroid or adrenal problems. The meter was expensive ($360), but I'm glad I have it. I also bought a jewelry scale for my thyroid medication. I need such a small amount that I finally decided to buy one. I'm down three pounds since re-starting the medication and my face isn't puffy anymore. 

Also on the positive side, it's a gorgeous day and we're free to go out and enjoy it here in Indiana. The wildflowers have sprouted in the seed trays, daffodils are coming up, and I had the energy to weed the raised beds and clean up after a pressure cooker accident that sprayed chicken broth from floor to ceiling and set off the alarm. Luckily, I wasn't in the kitchen. I'd ordered a new fuse and should have waited on it. I wanted to replace the stopper, too, since the gasket is stiff, but everyone is out of stock.  At least toilet paper is in stock. 


Comments

Oh dear, so sorry to read this Lori.
I wish I could suggest something, but I can't!

However, on a positive note it is good to read that it is "a gorgeous day and you're free to go out and enjoy it there in Indiana".

Sending healing wishes

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Thanks, Jan. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm getting back to normal.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...