Skip to main content

How to Write a Newspaper Nutrition Article

This article from the Miami Herald, "Popular Paleo Diet Still Has its Skeptics" by Deborah S. Hartz-Seeley, is a textbook example of how to write a nutrition article.

  • Choose a hot topic. In this case, paleo diets.
  • Describe the topic and how it got started. This article cites popular media and books written no less than 12 years ago; one book is from 1975. 
  • Find some examples of people who've tried the regimen. One man interviewed lost 200 pounds (yes, two hundred) and got rid of his acid reflux; a bariatric surgeon lost 40 pounds.
  • Somewhere in the article, mention that they are not alone. 
  • Create conflict. A couple of registered dieticians interviewed trot out the gospel of food groups, healthy whole grains, and warnings that more research is needed.
  • Recommend people talk to their doctor.

What NOT to do when writing a newspaper article on nutrition:
  • Proofread. "Just about everybody, including daytime talk show hosts and fitness bloggers, are touting..."
  • Look up recent sources of information. Dr. Cordain, whose book from 2001 is mentioned, wrote The Paleo Answer two years ago. In particular, he's changed his position on dietary fat. The book is one of over a dozen on the paleo diet that have come out in the past three years.
  • Fact check. Where to begin? Lean meat is not part of the Atkins Diet. The paleo diet is based on a great deal of scientific research in both medicine and anthropology, not just anecdotes. Grains are nutrient poor compared to paleo food.
  • Turn on your BS detector. Mark Bluh, according to the article, lost 200 pounds. He started out at 330, and he's six feet four. So he's now 130 pounds and six feet four inches? (A normal weight for a man that height would be 200 pounds. That was the height and weight of my ex-jerk, who was lean and toned.) The same diet that humans have lived on for 2.5 million years, a diet that corrects weight, allergies, acid reflux and avoids foods some people don't tolerate well, will make you ill? Consult a medical professional about diet, even though most of them look like they're 50 pounds overweight?
 Finally, send the article to the local newspaper and wait for a check.



Comments

Galina L. said…
Such annoying article on several levels! You provide us with a good recipe how to cook one, I saw even worse examples, and diet advice on local news just full of infuriating BS. I wonder, how people manage to get payed for it, because anyone can write such cookie-cuter material.
Lori Miller said…
The dying industry of newspapers probably doesn't attract many bright young people. The article is such cookie-cutter material that I wonder if they recycled an old one with a couple of new interviews.
Lori recently said "Haven't seen that yet, but I'm sure it's a gem. I like Kendrick's blog--I should have it on my blog roll."

Maybe slightly off topic but I see you have Dr Kendrick in your list now ... nice one

All the best Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...