Saturday, September 21, 2013

Denver Chicken Coop Tour

Some scenes from the Denver Chicken Coop Tour:

The owner built top nesting boxes because the chickens couldn't find the lower ones.

A simple run from scrap material.

A run for a manicured yard.

The Chicken Plaza.
The view from my house isn't as nice as the view from this chicken house.
I'm still working on my own chicken jungle. It's not a unique concept--one place on the tour provided so much cover for the chickens in the form of lamb's quarters (a weed) and a tree that the chickens could free range. After the heavy rains last week, the ground was soft enough to dig trenches around the chicken area so that I could put wire fencing below the ground to keep predators (such as my dog) from tunneling their way to a chicken dinner.

While I was at it, I collected the earth worms and started a worm bin to compost kitchen scraps and junk mail and have some protein for the chickens. But as the worms go for $20 a pound, I may sell them instead--as soon as I have a few pounds.

5 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Love the look of 'the chicken plaza'.

Heavy rains sometimes do help - well - they enabled you to dig some trenches around the chicken area!

Hope you keep making progress

All the best Jan

Lori Miller said...

The owner of the Plaza said it took her two weeks to build.

At least the rains didn't flood my house, as they did north of Denver.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, flooding is not a nice thing. People need support to get on with their lives if anything like that happens and it seems to be happening more frequently in recent years.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Lori, glad to hear the rains didn't flood your house. I do feel for people caught up in natures bad weather. Winds, floods, landslides whatever,they are not easy to deal with and seem to be happening more frequently.

All the best Jan

Lori Miller said...

I don't think it applies much in Colorado, but a lot of people in the US need to stop building on flood plains. Much of New Orleans, for instance, is below sea level.