For the past two and a half weeks, my dog and I have been on a mostly lacto-paleo diet to heal our cavities. It's a high-nutrient, high-fat, low-sugar diet that emulates what my northern European ancestors ate before the advent of farming. We've been eating meat, eggs, non-starchy vegetables (think salad ingredients), fish, olive oil, coconut oil, and a few nuts. That's the paleo part. We've also been eating cheese, sour cream, goat milk, cream and butter (the lacto part). We don't eat any grains or beans. However, I do eat a few chocolate candies a day, low-carb ice cream and a Zevia soda now and then. I also use a little bit of vinegar and xanthan gum, which aren't strictly paleo. I need a vice besides overdue library books.
Positive results so far:
- We enjoy this food-especially Molly. She jumps for joy when I feed her.
- I'm down a pound and Molly feels a little trimmer on our high-fat, high-nutrient, low-carb diet. Take that, Dr. Oz!
- My third-day hair looks and feels clean. Usually, I need a shampoo by the end of day two.
- No more chapped lips, even without Carmex.
Negative results so far:
- I've been tired. Last weekend, I fell asleep during Hawaii 5-0 (the original show with Jack Lord--was there a cooler guy?) and took a four-hour nap Sunday night.
- My skin has felt dry.
- I've had some nasal congestion.
Yesterday, after doing a bit of research, I started taking potassium and immediately felt better. My skin looks better, too. (Potassium helps regulate heartbeat, water retention and bowel movements. A lack of potassium can make you tired.) I may have to cut back on the dairy to decrease the congestion.
As for our teeth, they look about the same.